Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Funny Thing Happened On My Way Here Today...

Well, not really, quite the opposite, but my other working-title - "Git-Boy In Bike Bust-Up" - doesn't really have the same...je ne se qua. Let us leave it there, and engage then in the tail at hand, which does have a slightly humorous end:

As some of you know (or, we shall pretend you do!), I've taken to riding my bicycle to and from Uni - it's only about 40 minutes, there and back, it's good for me, and it allows me to spend money in ways more productive than allowing it to be sucked into the spiralling vortex of doom we affectionately and optimistically call our public transport network.

My bicycle I've had since I was about 15 - along the way it's had a few repairs, needed a new seat, had a couple of lights stuck on, but it is, essentially, the bike I have had for three years, and keep in the garage, out of the rain.

This morning, on my way to Uni, and speeding through a busy intersection, I happened to misjudge my turn, and found myself flying uncontollably towards a sign by the side of the road. Cooly, I pulled on the brakes and...well, they did sweet bugger all.

At speed, then, flinging my hands out in front of my face - it would be a shame were my good-looks lost to the world - I painfully collided with the sign, filling the air with language that would make a sailor blush, and educating the small children disembarking the crowded train on the other side of the road, and severely injuring my left hand, covering my right in scratches, and damaging both my legs.

Lying face-down on the pavement, bleeding profusely, I was approached by an middle-aged gentlemen, who asked, completely straight-faced, "Are you alright?"

AM I ALRIGHT? AM I ALRIGHT?! I'VE JUST COLLIDED WITH A ROAD-SIGN, AM BLEEDING QUITE HEAVILY ALL OVER MY BODY, AND CAN'T FEEL MY RIGHT LEG, AND YOU'RE ASKING IF I'M ALRIGHT? OF COURSE I AM! I'M FANTASTIC! HOW ABOUT YOU?

I love people some times.



Au Revoir,
Nick

0 comments: